Texas insider says Steve Patterson was in UT's 'final three'
Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi confirmed the report that while no formal offer was made to Patterson, there was an understanding that the job was his if he wanted it. Texas is looking for a replacement for AD DeLoss Dodds, who is retiring next August.
Chip Brown, of Orangebloods.com and 104.9 The Horn in Austin, added to that report Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 620.
"From what I was told, he was in the final three," Brown told Doug and Wolf. "I was told that the committee definitely wanted to talk to Steve Patterson, I'm told he was not offered the job, but that's not surprising coming from the Texas side of things."
Brown went on to describe a power struggle between University of Texas President Bill Powers and the Board of Regents, which has made it difficult to get a straight answer from anyone.
"I reported that Powers' choice would be Oliver Luck, the athletic director at West Virginia," Brown said. "I think Bill Powers thought he was going to make this hire and I think he's probably still hoping he gets to make this hire, but the Texas Board of Regents have been going after him for the last year and a half over the direction of higher education in this state."
Regardless of how firm the offer to Patterson was, the fact is he's not going to be the next athletic director in Austin, and Brown shared the reasons why.
"I've talked to several top athletic directors, some of them were candidates for this job, they were names mentioned and then, quickly, they were not candidates for this job because they indicated they were going to stay where they were," Brown said. "They told me, 'everyone would want to be the AD at Texas -- with those resources, that brand, living in Austin -- but, it is not the job it could be or would be if they had stability in the president's office.'"
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.