Texas insider says Steve Patterson was in UT's 'final three'
Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi confirmed the report that while no formal offer was made to Patterson, there was an understanding that the job was his if he wanted it. Texas is looking for a replacement for AD DeLoss Dodds, who is retiring next August.
Chip Brown, of Orangebloods.com and 104.9 The Horn in Austin, added to that report Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 620.
"From what I was told, he was in the final three," Brown told Doug and Wolf. "I was told that the committee definitely wanted to talk to Steve Patterson, I'm told he was not offered the job, but that's not surprising coming from the Texas side of things."
Brown went on to describe a power struggle between University of Texas President Bill Powers and the Board of Regents, which has made it difficult to get a straight answer from anyone.
"I reported that Powers' choice would be Oliver Luck, the athletic director at West Virginia," Brown said. "I think Bill Powers thought he was going to make this hire and I think he's probably still hoping he gets to make this hire, but the Texas Board of Regents have been going after him for the last year and a half over the direction of higher education in this state."
Regardless of how firm the offer to Patterson was, the fact is he's not going to be the next athletic director in Austin, and Brown shared the reasons why.
"I've talked to several top athletic directors, some of them were candidates for this job, they were names mentioned and then, quickly, they were not candidates for this job because they indicated they were going to stay where they were," Brown said. "They told me, 'everyone would want to be the AD at Texas -- with those resources, that brand, living in Austin -- but, it is not the job it could be or would be if they had stability in the president's office.'"
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.