Texas insider says Steve Patterson was in UT's 'final three'
Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi confirmed the report that while no formal offer was made to Patterson, there was an understanding that the job was his if he wanted it. Texas is looking for a replacement for AD DeLoss Dodds, who is retiring next August.
Chip Brown, of Orangebloods.com and 104.9 The Horn in Austin, added to that report Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 620.
"From what I was told, he was in the final three," Brown told Doug and Wolf. "I was told that the committee definitely wanted to talk to Steve Patterson, I'm told he was not offered the job, but that's not surprising coming from the Texas side of things."
Brown went on to describe a power struggle between University of Texas President Bill Powers and the Board of Regents, which has made it difficult to get a straight answer from anyone.
"I reported that Powers' choice would be Oliver Luck, the athletic director at West Virginia," Brown said. "I think Bill Powers thought he was going to make this hire and I think he's probably still hoping he gets to make this hire, but the Texas Board of Regents have been going after him for the last year and a half over the direction of higher education in this state."
Regardless of how firm the offer to Patterson was, the fact is he's not going to be the next athletic director in Austin, and Brown shared the reasons why.
"I've talked to several top athletic directors, some of them were candidates for this job, they were names mentioned and then, quickly, they were not candidates for this job because they indicated they were going to stay where they were," Brown said. "They told me, 'everyone would want to be the AD at Texas -- with those resources, that brand, living in Austin -- but, it is not the job it could be or would be if they had stability in the president's office.'"
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- ASU hires Patrick Suddes as assistant athletics director for recruiting
- ASU's Will Sutton, Carl Bradford work out for scouts at NFL Combine
- Arizona RB Ka'Deem Carey records slow 40-yard dash time, ASU RB Marion Grice doesn't participate
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 football analyst - Wednesday March 5Why is the drop back quarterback losing steam in college football?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 4Herb Sendek talks about the upcoming game against Oregon, and the decision to come home in between r