Report: ASU athletic director Steve Patterson turned down offer with Texas
Patterson received his undergraduate and law degrees at Texas, which will need a new AD after DeLoss Dodds steps down in August 2014. Dodds' annual salary is $1.1 million.
According to Lockman:
In September, Patterson received a 15-month contract extension through June 2018 and an $85,000 raise. In turning down Texas's overture, Patterson presumably passed on the chance to make significantly more than his current salary of $450,000.
A source told Fox Sports that Texas never extended a formal agreement to Patterson, but that he did meet with university representatives and could have taken the job if he so desired.
Having previously worked for the Houston Texans and Houston Rockets, Patterson joined Arizona State in July 2011 as the chief operating officer for the athletic department. He had a big role in the ASU's hiring of football coach Todd Graham that year. He then replaced Lisa Love as athletic director in March 28, 2012.
About Patterson's time at ASU, Lockman said:
Patterson has spearheaded a number of major projects at ASU, including Sun Devil Stadium renovation efforts, creation of the 425-acre sports facilities district to be built adjacent to ASU's campus and negotiations to move ASU baseball's home games to Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
Patterson was also lauded this year for standing up to Notre Dame when it tried to back out of a 2014 football game in Tempe.
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.