Report: ASU athletic director Steve Patterson turned down offer with Texas
Patterson received his undergraduate and law degrees at Texas, which will need a new AD after DeLoss Dodds steps down in August 2014. Dodds' annual salary is $1.1 million.
According to Lockman:
In September, Patterson received a 15-month contract extension through June 2018 and an $85,000 raise. In turning down Texas's overture, Patterson presumably passed on the chance to make significantly more than his current salary of $450,000.
A source told Fox Sports that Texas never extended a formal agreement to Patterson, but that he did meet with university representatives and could have taken the job if he so desired.
Having previously worked for the Houston Texans and Houston Rockets, Patterson joined Arizona State in July 2011 as the chief operating officer for the athletic department. He had a big role in the ASU's hiring of football coach Todd Graham that year. He then replaced Lisa Love as athletic director in March 28, 2012.
About Patterson's time at ASU, Lockman said:
Patterson has spearheaded a number of major projects at ASU, including Sun Devil Stadium renovation efforts, creation of the 425-acre sports facilities district to be built adjacent to ASU's campus and negotiations to move ASU baseball's home games to Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
Patterson was also lauded this year for standing up to Notre Dame when it tried to back out of a 2014 football game in Tempe.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was