Cardinals coach: Team offered Karlos Dansby a contract day after season ended
A free agent in the prime of his career, Dansby left the desert for a five-year, $43 million contract.
The numbers would be different, but could it happen again?
Dansby, now 32, is again a free agent, and he happens to be coming off arguably the best season of his career. So, it's understandable if he thinks a pretty good contract should be coming his way.
The linebacker led the team with 122 total tackles last season while adding 6.5 sacks and four interceptions -- two of which he returned for touchdowns. He also tallied 19 passes defensed, and was named to the Associated Press All-NFL 2nd Team this season.
The Cardinals understandably, would like to have him back.
"Oh there's no doubt," coach Bruce Arians told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "We offered Karlos a contract the day after the season.
"We're still in the negotiation process. But yeah, he's a major priority because of what he brought to the table for us as a leader. We definitely would love to have him back."
To his credit, Dansby has said he expects to be a Cardinal next season, so he does not seem to be in any hurry to leave.
Until he signs a contract with the team, though, that will be a possibility. For the second time.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.