Updated Oct 28, 2013 - 9:03 am
Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim debunks Larry Fitzgerald trade rumors
Schefter tweeted that Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald would be available for a trade this offseason, should a deal not be struck before the NFL trade deadline hits Tuesday.
Fitzgerald responded Sunday with four catches for 48 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' 27-13 win, and then responded to the rumors following the contest.
"If they decide to move me, that happens," Fitzgerald said. "I have no control over any of that. I just focus on what I can do to improve and help my team."
Monday morning, Arizona general manager Steve Keim left no doubt about the organization's feelings on Sunday's rumor.
"I can tell you two things, and I want to make this clear and simple," Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Monday. "I have not had one conversation with another NFL team regarding a trade with Larry Fitzgerald.
"Number two, starting with Michael Bidwill down, it is our intent for Larry Fitzgerald to retire a Cardinal, period. If there was any grey area there guys, let me know, and we'll get it out."
You may now breathe easy, Fitz fans.
There has been plenty of speculation about Fitzgerald's future with the team that made him the third-overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft out of the University of Pittsburgh. Declining production, along with an astronomical salary cap hit of $18 million has fueled the discussion about Fitzgerald's longevity in Arizona. Keim also addressed the latter.
"Regardless of the situation, we have a counter for Larry's deal moving forward. Now anything else that's done is something we're going to have to look at and continue to talk through, but Larry Fitzgerald is a Cardinal and will remain a Cardinal."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?