Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald not focused on trade rumors
After all, even though the league's trade deadline is just days away, the NFL is traditionally not a league where there is much movement while games are being played.
Yet, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday morning that Larry Fitzgerald, the Arizona Cardinals' All-Pro receiver and face of the franchise, could be moved at the conclusion of this season -- if not a bit sooner than that.
Asked about the rumor after his team's 27-13 win over the Atlanta Falcons Sunday, Fitzgerald said essentially what you would expect.
"I don't know. I come to work every day and just focus on how I can help the Arizona Cardinals and help my team win," he said. "If they decide to move me, that happens. I have no control over any of that.
"I just focus on what I can do to improve and help my team."
The 30-year-old had a solid-if-unspectacular game Sunday, tallying 48 yards and a touchdown on four receptions. He's been dealing with a hamstring injury for the majority of the season, and admitted earlier in the week that he is not yet feeling 100 percent healthy.
But even injured, Fitzgerald is the Cardinals' most potent weapon in the passing game. He became the youngest player in history to reach the 800-career reception mark Sunday. He is one of the best receivers in the history of the game, and it would not make much sense for Arizona to move him while the team is 4-4 and very much in the playoff hunt.
At this point a trade would come as a shock to most, including Fitzgerald's quarterback.
"I actually hadn't heard that," Carson Palmer said when told of the rumor. "But I don't think -- I don't see that happening."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.