Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 9:45 pm
Cards' head coach Bruce Arians: 'I'm pulling for' Ryan Williams
"The handwriting's on the wall," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta. "Either get out there and play, or you probably won't be here."
Since rupturing his right patella tendon in his rookie season, the 23-year-old Virginia Tech product has played in just five NFL games, also battling a shoulder injury last season.
"I've never seen a guy work so hard to get back to play football, look so good in shorts, and then can't play," Arians told Bickley with Marotta. "And it's a feeling that he has that his knee's not ready. So that's between he and the doctors."
Soreness is Williams' self-diagnosis, and it has been incapacitating enough to hold him out of almost all of the Cardinals' training camp activities.
But early last week, Williams guaranteed he would be ready to suit up for his team's preseason showdown with the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"I know for a fact that I'll be playing in the Cowboys game, for a fact," he said. "I like to be a man of my word and I know that I'm playing the Cowboys game."
But on Wednesday, with Williams still held out from contact, Bickley and Marotta questioned whether the back would be ready for the game, which now stands just five days and three practices away.
Arians wonders, just the same.
"I'd like to see him practice before he gets in the Dallas game," said Arians. "That would be nice."
Despite the setbacks and tenderfootedness, Arians has no questions about Williams' drive or work ethic.
"I'm pulling for him," he said. "I like him. I think he's a great kid. He's a hard worker.
"And sometimes I think he's too conscientious."
- PFT: All signs point to' free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!