Arizona Cardinals RB Ryan Williams says he'll play in second preseason game
Friday, the Arizona Cardinals open their 2013 preseason schedule by visiting Lambeau again, but Williams won't get the opportunity to exorcise those injury demons. The third-year running back from Virginia Tech has been sidelined during training camp with a sore knee, but is confident that this is all part of getting healthy enough to play again.
"Nothing's wrong with my knee, it's all healed properly," Williams said following practice Monday afternoon. "I think it's just part of the process. I've talked to a lot of people who have had this injury -- Carson (Palmer) has also had this injury, Dave (Zastudil), our punter and our safety Y.B. (Yeremiah Bell) -- they've all gone through this.
"It just sucks that I'm going through this right now and missing time, but the good sign of things is that I'm going through the healing process right now. I took a P.R.P. (platelet-rich plasma) shot and it should do what it's supposed to do so I can be back on the field soon."
Williams has a long history of ailments, dating back to his college days when he missed a good portion of his sophomore season with a hamstring injury. That was followed by the torn patellar tendon in his rookie season and a season-ending shoulder injury suffered in a Week 5 loss to the St. Louis Rams in 2012.
Head coach Bruce Arians said Monday morning that each moment Williams is on the sideline, the more it will be for him to make the 53-man roster out of camp.
"It's hurting him extremely not to be on the field competing for the job because those other guys are doing so well," Arians said.
Williams says his focus is on getting healthy, not if he'll receive a pink slip from the organization that picked him in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
"I can't worry about things like that," he said. "I'm very confident in what I'm able to do when I'm feeling good. I'm not worried, because once I'm on the field my play will speak for itself."
Confidence aside, Williams won't suit up for the Cardinals in Green Bay, but guaranteed his return soon after that.
"I know for a fact that I'll be playing in the Cowboys game, for a fact," Williams said. "I like to be a man of my word and I know that I'm playing the Cowboys game."
Dallas will visit the Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium Saturday, August 17.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!