Updated May 28, 2014 - 3:41 pm
Arizona seeks to extend contracts for Sean Miller, Rich Rodriguez and Greg Byrne
The university's proposal is now waiting on the Arizona Board of Regents' approval.
Miller has been Arizona's basketball coach since 2009, and in five seasons has led the Wildcats to 129 wins along with four NCAA Tournament berths, two of which saw them reach the Elite 8.
The school is looking to increase Miller's base salary from $1,500,000 to $1,600,000, with the contract also offering bonuses based on on-court and academic performance. The new proposal would see his contract expire on May 31, 2019.
Rodriguez has been Arizona's football coach the last two seasons, and has guided the team to a pair of 8-5 seasons. The Wildcats have won two bowl games in that time.
The school wants to extend his contract to May 31, 2019, while having his salary, which is currently $1,330,000, increase by $100,000 in each of the next five years. UA also wants to increase the coach's salary for radio and television appearances.
And the contract for Byrne, who inherited Miller but hired Rodriguez, is scheduled to run out on Sept. 29, 2016. The school wants to extend it to May 31, 2019.
Originally hired in 2010, Byrne has gained a reputation for being one of the best athletic directors in the country. Among his accomplishments in Tucson are the completion of the Lowell-Stevens Football Facility along with the ongoing renovations of the McKale Center.
If approved, Byrne's salary of $500,000 will increase to $625,000 in 2014, $650,000 in 2015, $675,000 in 2016, $700,000 in 2017 and $725,000 in 2018.
Byrne will also be eligible to receive bonuses based on academic success rate.
All three contracts are also aided by a university benefactor who has offered a way to supplement the salaries of each. In terms of the coaches, they would essentially each stand to earn a bonus in excess of $6 million should they still be with the school in eight years.
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.