Updated Mar 24, 2014 - 3:33 pm
ESPN.com Writer: Arizona is new top overall seed in NCAA Tournament
Now with only 16 teams left, ESPN.com college basketball writer Myron Medcalf has re-seeded the field and says that the Wildcats are deserving of the top overall seed, based on their first and second-round performances -- replacing Florida as his true no. 1 seed.
Arizona toyed with Weber State in the round of 64. That was expected. But Gonzaga was a legitimate opponent as a No. 8 seed that appeared to possess the tools to give Arizona a fight. That didn't happen. The Wildcats topped the Zags by 23 points in a lopsided win that allowed them to showcase their championship potential. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Aaron Gordon each finished with 18 points. Nick Johnson, a shooting guard, had four blocks. Arizona is athletic and versatile and ranked No. 1 in adjusted defensive efficiency, per Ken Pomeroy. The Wildcats played better than any team in the field this weekend.
Arizona cruised in their first game of the NCAA Tournament, defeating 16th-seeded Weber State 68-59 behind Pac-12 Player of the Year Nick Johnson's 18 points and a team total of 12 blocks.
The Wildcats advanced to the round of 32, and won against eighth-seeded Gonzaga 84-61, outscoring the Bulldogs 31-2 off turnovers, to push forward to the Sweet Sixteen.
Arizona is slated to play fourth-seeded San Diego State on March 27, in Anaheim, CA for a chance to play in the Elite Eight for the first time since 2011. If the Wildcats advance, they will play the winner of Baylor and Wisconsin for a trip to the Final Four.
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.