Updated Sep 30, 2013 - 8:48 am
Former Wildcat Chase Budinger suffers another setback in NBA
The Minnesota StarTribune reports the Timberwolves announced Friday morning that the former University of Arizona standout had injured the cartilage in the same knee that kept him out for much of last year.
"Budinger will have arthroscopic surgery to explore swelling in the knee that has developed recently," Timberwolves reporter Jerry Zgoda wrote.
Prior to the announcement, 6-foot-7 small forward had claimed his knee had recovered from his surgery last winter. In July, the team signed him to a three-year, $15 million contract.
Flip Saunders, the president of basketball operations for the Timberwolves, said the new problem with Budinger's knee developed within the last month, but that they couldn't identify any particular moment when he re-injured it.
Budinger has averaged 9.4 points and shot 80.4 percent on free throws and 35.8 percent from behind the arc during his four years in the NBA -- three with the Houston Rockets and one with Minnesota.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona's Nick Johnson a finalist for Wooden Award
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- With win over Stanford, Arizona clinches Pac-12 title outright
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.