Cat Tracks: Wildcats advance easily with win over Belmont
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's 81-64 win over Belmont on March 21.
Sixth-seeded Arizona had no trouble handling 11th-seeded Belmont, despite many national pundits predicting an upset. The Wildcats led by as many 21 points, and used their size to stifle any hopes Belmont had to advance.
The Wildcats were led by Mark Lyons, who scored 23 points on 8-of-15 shooting in the win. The 'Cats also had three players, Kevin Parrom, Kaleb Tarczewski and Nick Johnson, add 12 points. Tarczewski and Parrom each also had eight rebounds.
Arizona shot an impressive 57 percent overall and made nine of 17 three-pointers. The 'Cats defense also held the Bruins to just 39.2 percent shooting. Belmont had averaged a 49.4 shooting percentage for the season.
Senior forward Solomon Hill was in foul trouble early for the Wildcats. He had three fouls before halftime. He had just nine points in 29 minutes of play.
Belmont made a small run late with over five minutes left, cutting their deficit to 11 points. They would get no closer in this lop-sided contest.
In the first half, the Wildcats did commit 10 turnovers that resulted in 10 points for the Bruins.
• Belmont fell to 0-6 in tournament games.
• Arizona outrebounded Belmont by a 44-18 margin.
• The Bruins were just 2 of 13 from downtown in the first half and 8 of 27 overall in the game.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will play Harvard on Saturday. Tip-off is TBA.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- With win over Stanford, Arizona clinches Pac-12 title outright
- WAC suspends 2 players for postgame brawl in Orem
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.