Cat Tracks: Wildcats drop first game of the season to Oregon
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's January 10 loss to Oregon. Oregon 70, Arizona 66.
Mark Lyons dropped a team-high 21 points and Solomon Hill scored 16 for the Wildcats on Thursday night. Lyons, Hill and Johnson combined for 49 of the 'Cats points.
The Wildcats got off to a hot start and led the Ducks by a 11-0 margin.
The Cardiac Cats, who are no strangers to late comebacks, made it interesting late in the game due in large part to a number of Oregon turnovers. They went on a 14-2 run to get to within six points with 17:11 left to play.
Arizona got a tremendous effort from their defense late but their attempt at pulling out another miraculous win fell short.
The Wildcats allowed the Ducks to play themselves back into the game after a strong start. Oregon outscored Arizona 41-19 for the remainder of the first half.
The 'Cats suffered their first loss of the 2012 season. Arizona is now 14-1 and 2-1 in Pac-12 play this year.
Nick Johnson and Mark Lyons each committed four turnovers in the loss.
• Oregon, who beat UNLV in November, recorded their second win against a ranked team this year.
• With Arizona's loss, only two unbeaten teams remain.
• The 'Cats shot 44 percent from the floor in the loss.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will travel to Oregon State on Saturday, January 12. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 6:00 p.m. MST.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a