Arizona State got behind early in Thursday's contest with the Utah Utes and entered the half down by four points, but the Sun Devils worked their way to a lead and held on for a 79-75 win at Wells Fargo Arena.
ASU hadn't played a game since last Thursday's 91-68 loss to rival Arizona, and the win over Utah snapped a two-game losing streak for the Sun Devils, who improved to 14-5 overall and 3-3 in conference.
Utah came in having win two straight over USC and No. 25 UCLA, but fell to 14-5 and 3-4 in conference Thursday.
Here's a look at the game by the numbers:
Sophomore Eric Jacobsen started the second game of his collegiate career, including the first of the season. He finished with four points, two assists and made his only shot from the field.
Forward Jonathan Gilling made all five of his shots against Utah, including 3-for-3 on 3-pointers. It was Gilling's first time this season shooting perfect from the field. He finished with 13 points, six assists, four rebounds and one block.
Point guard Jahii Carson finished with 23 points on 10-of-22 shooting, marking the sixth time he's reached the 20-point mark this season, including just the second time he's done it in the last nine contests. The sophomore added three assists and seven rebounds, although he missed five of his eight free throws.
Gilling got all six of his assists in the first half, topping Utah's total (5) to that point. The Utes only finished with nine assists.
Jordan Bachynski won the battle of the Bachynskis Thursday. His brother, Dallin, a junior, finished with six points, five rebounds, two assists and a block for Utah. ASU's center posted 11 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks -- two of which were on his brother.
Bachynski's 11 points and 11 rebounds marked his 10th double-double of his senior season. It was just the second time he's reached that mark in the last nine games.
With the win, Arizona State moved to 10-1 at home this season, its only loss coming to Washington on Jan. 2.
Two Utah players topped the 20-point mark: Sophomore Jordan Loveridge with 23 and junior Delon Wright with 22. However, no other Utes reached double figures in scoring against ASU.
ASU got the the line for 31 free throw tries, converting 21 of them for a percentage of 67.7. The Sun Devils got nine more free throws than the Utes, who made 15 out of 22 attempts (68.2 percent).
The Sun Devils shot a sizzling 54.2 percent from the floor Thursday, including making six out of 14 3-point tries (42.9 percent). Utah took six more shots, but finished 48.1 percent from the floor and made just eight out of 22 3-pointers (36.4 percent).
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Wednesday September 24AZCentral sports reporter Doug Haller previews Arizona State's matchup with UCLA.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday September 24Dan discusses the newly found connection between the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona State Sun Dev