Carson, Arizona State hang tough for win over Utah: By the numbers
ASU hadn't played a game since last Thursday's 91-68 loss to rival Arizona, and the win over Utah snapped a two-game losing streak for the Sun Devils, who improved to 14-5 overall and 3-3 in conference.
Utah came in having win two straight over USC and No. 25 UCLA, but fell to 14-5 and 3-4 in conference Thursday.
Here's a look at the game by the numbers:
Sophomore Eric Jacobsen started the second game of his collegiate career, including the first of the season. He finished with four points, two assists and made his only shot from the field.
Forward Jonathan Gilling made all five of his shots against Utah, including 3-for-3 on 3-pointers. It was Gilling's first time this season shooting perfect from the field. He finished with 13 points, six assists, four rebounds and one block.
Point guard Jahii Carson finished with 23 points on 10-of-22 shooting, marking the sixth time he's reached the 20-point mark this season, including just the second time he's done it in the last nine contests. The sophomore added three assists and seven rebounds, although he missed five of his eight free throws.
Gilling got all six of his assists in the first half, topping Utah's total (5) to that point. The Utes only finished with nine assists.
Jordan Bachynski won the battle of the Bachynskis Thursday. His brother, Dallin, a junior, finished with six points, five rebounds, two assists and a block for Utah. ASU's center posted 11 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks -- two of which were on his brother.
Bachynski's 11 points and 11 rebounds marked his 10th double-double of his senior season. It was just the second time he's reached that mark in the last nine games.
With the win, Arizona State moved to 10-1 at home this season, its only loss coming to Washington on Jan. 2.
Two Utah players topped the 20-point mark: Sophomore Jordan Loveridge with 23 and junior Delon Wright with 22. However, no other Utes reached double figures in scoring against ASU.
ASU got the the line for 31 free throw tries, converting 21 of them for a percentage of 67.7. The Sun Devils got nine more free throws than the Utes, who made 15 out of 22 attempts (68.2 percent).
The Sun Devils shot a sizzling 54.2 percent from the floor Thursday, including making six out of 14 3-point tries (42.9 percent). Utah took six more shots, but finished 48.1 percent from the floor and made just eight out of 22 3-pointers (36.4 percent).
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.