Updated Oct 16, 2013 - 9:46 am
ASU AD Patterson casts aside rumors of departure to Texas
Now, 33 years later, Dodds' job is about to be up for grabs and rumors of Patterson's return to his alma mater to fill the opening have begun to swirl.
When asked Tuesday on The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta about the prospect of leaving for the moneyed Longhorns, however, the ASU athletic director was quick to downplay a potential departure.
"I was on the nine-year plan as an undergrad and law student there," Patterson said with a laugh. "I think I've done my time."
Patterson graduated with honors in 1980, earning a business administration degree, before going on to Texas School of Law, from where he graduated in 1984.
"I loved it," Patterson said of Austin, "but I love what I'm doing here."
The Wisconsin native took over as the ASU athletic director back in March of 2012, after spending time working in executive positions with the Houston Rockets, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Houston Texans.
"I think we're building something very special," Patterson went on. "We're starting the demolition of the north end zone, we've got a basketball program that's coming back, we've got good teams like volleyball and water polo."
With ASU's most visible teams on the rise -- with second-year coach Todd Graham at the helm of the football team and tenured coach Herb Sendek leading the basketball team -- and its always-competitive baseball team still in good form, Patterson has at least some reason to deny the whispers of his exit.
"What I get excited about is growing a program," he said.
"I'm excited to be here at ASU and I don't look forward to moving."
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.