Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 11:29 am
ASU AD Patterson: 'Working on' bringing Final Four to Phoenix
But one thing the state has yet to see is an NCAA Final Four.
ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that he plans to change that.
"You know, we're working on that," Patterson said. "You don't need a trench coat in Phoenix."
Every year, at the Final Four, the NCAA gets together to discuss future locations for the national tournament. Patterson stated Phoenix will definitely be a place he intends to propose.
"There going to be putting together the bids for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020," Patterson said. "So we want to be in that process and try to bring the Final Four to the Valley of the Sun."
If the Final Four did come to Phoenix, it would likely be played at University of Phoenix Stadium, which was the location of the 2009 regional round.
Since 1975, Arizona has hosted the opening round of the NCAA tournament 16 times, while hosting the regionals seven times with the most recent coming last year at U.S. Airways Center.
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.