Herb Sendek has been the basketball coach at Arizona State since 2006, compiling a record of 120-109.
He has not taken the Sun Devils to the NCAA Tournament since 2009, but appeared close this past season. Given the team's progress, ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he believes the coach has the program heading in the right direction.
"I think Herb had a good year, he did a great job getting out in the community telling his story," Patterson said. "Jahii (Carson) got to play this year, had a lot of success."
The Sun Devils won 22 games this season and finished 9-9 in the Pac-12. The team faded a bit after a fast start, finishing tied for sixth in the conference and earning a spot in the NIT.
But after a season in which the team won just 10 games, Patterson views the program in a positive light and believes better times are on the way.
"We've got a program that develops good, young players," Patterson said. "We won 22 ball games this year, I think it's the third-most in the last 30 years or something that the program's had, so I think we're on an upswing.
"I feel good about the crowds, the students got into it as the season went on. We had a lot of fun."
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Ray Anderson, ASU athletic director - Wednesday October 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the Sun Devils overcoming adversity after their loss to
- Jake Plummer - Former Cardinals and Sun Devil quarterback - Wednesday October 1Former Arizona State and Cardinal quarterback Jake Plummer discusses the latest in college football
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.