Sendek: Depth, free throws concerns for ASU
ASU is off to a 9-2 start, and as promised, has played a more entertaining, up-tempo brand of basketball. Herb Sendek's Sun Devils are averaging 75.5 points per game, up from the 61 points per contest they posted a year ago.
With only two games remaining until the beginning of conference play, Sendek does have concerns about his team, with depth being one of them. Only seven players are currently averaging ten or more minutes of playing time. Four of ASU's five starters are averaging more than 30 minutes per game and the Sun Devils are getting only 6.3 points from their bench over the last three contests.
"Moving forward, it would be great to get at least one more guy involved in that rotation," Sendek told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "That's something we'd love to be able to do."
But who will it be? Senior point guard Chris Colvin was the early-season spark plug, averaging 10.8 points off the bench in Arizona State's first four contests. But Colvin's production has tailed off since then; he's averaging just 3.4 points while shooting .307 from the field in the last seven games.
Free throw shooting has been another issue for the Sun Devils, who are connecting on just 56.8% of their attempts in the last three games.
"What makes it even worse is we're getting to the free throw line -- in attempts, we're sixth in the nation," Sendek said. "We've actually made more free throws than our opponents have attempted but the problem is we're actually 62.9% from the line (for the year) and that's a lot of extra possessions right now that we're not cashing in on."
Arizona State plays its first true road game of the year Saturday at Texas Tech.
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works