UA's Rich Rodriguez: We do have talent at QB
When it comes to the quarterback at the University of Arizona, the answer is no.
Six different signal callers lined up center during the spring game last month.
Redshirt sophomore Connor Brewer recorded the most completions (eight), redshirt freshman Anu Solomon threw for the most yards (74), while redshirt senior Jesse Scroggins rushed for the most yards (37).
All three passed for touchdowns, with Brewer and Solomon each throwing two.
Also seeing time were junior college transfer Jerrard Randall, redshirt junior Nick Isham and redshirt freshman Khari McGree.
"Not as much as we probably would have hoped, but that's not necessarily a disappointing thing because our biggest concern was not necessarily finding a pecking order but just getting two to three guys to the point where we felt we could win with them. And I think we did," head coach Rich Rodriguez said during the Pac-12 football spring media teleconference on Thursday. "I felt encouraged about that coming out of spring that we do have the talent there."
Again, one will have to emerge as the heir apparent to B.J. Denker, who in his senior season completed 61.2 percent of his passes for 2,516 yards with 16 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He was also the Wildcats' second-leading rusher with 949 yards and 13 touchdowns.
"I think we've got a pretty good indication of what their skill sets are," Rodriguez said, "and then starting with the first practice in August it will be a full-fledged competition all the way to the first game and maybe even after that."
The quarterback competition may be front and center, and rightfully so, but Rodriguez said he's also excited about the competition at running back, linebacker and in the secondary.
"I'm looking forward to it, but not right now," he said. "I want the coaches to have a little bit of time this summer and the players to have a little bit of a break and get themselves in shape for a great August camp."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.