Updated Aug 16, 2013 - 2:29 pm
Arizona Wildcats football program 'on track for next level'
Roussel has high praise for the direction of the Wildcats' program in his article "7 college football programs on track for the next level." The writer mentions Arizona first on his list (and, no, it's not in alphabetical order).
"It's going to take Rich Rodriguez a little bit longer than he anticipated, but Arizona is on the verge of becoming a consistent Top 25 program in the next several years under Rodriguez," Roussel writes.
The writer says we'll look back on 2013 four years from now and realize that the Wildcats are one of the programs that was in the process of "building something special."
Roussel uses the story of Jim Harbaugh to illustrate his point of having patience with new head coaches. Harbaugh went 9-15 in his first two years as head coach at Stanford, but the team improved to 20-6 over Harbaugh's next two seasons -- before he went to the NFL and had even more success with the San Francisco 49ers.
"While new coaches often generate excitement, the breakthrough doesn't come until year No. 3, 4, 5 or 6," Roussel writes.
Arizona went 8-5 in Rodriguez's first year. If that means the program has yet to blossom under his guidance, then Wildcats fans are going to love him by Year Three.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.