Updated Aug 16, 2013 - 2:29 pm
Arizona Wildcats football program 'on track for next level'
Roussel has high praise for the direction of the Wildcats' program in his article "7 college football programs on track for the next level." The writer mentions Arizona first on his list (and, no, it's not in alphabetical order).
"It's going to take Rich Rodriguez a little bit longer than he anticipated, but Arizona is on the verge of becoming a consistent Top 25 program in the next several years under Rodriguez," Roussel writes.
The writer says we'll look back on 2013 four years from now and realize that the Wildcats are one of the programs that was in the process of "building something special."
Roussel uses the story of Jim Harbaugh to illustrate his point of having patience with new head coaches. Harbaugh went 9-15 in his first two years as head coach at Stanford, but the team improved to 20-6 over Harbaugh's next two seasons -- before he went to the NFL and had even more success with the San Francisco 49ers.
"While new coaches often generate excitement, the breakthrough doesn't come until year No. 3, 4, 5 or 6," Roussel writes.
Arizona went 8-5 in Rodriguez's first year. If that means the program has yet to blossom under his guidance, then Wildcats fans are going to love him by Year Three.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Three ways Arizona beats ASU, three ways the Wildcats lose to the Sun Devils
- A Wildcat remembers his favorite memories of the Territorial Cup
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.