Updated Aug 16, 2013 - 2:29 pm
Arizona Wildcats football program 'on track for next level'
Roussel has high praise for the direction of the Wildcats' program in his article "7 college football programs on track for the next level." The writer mentions Arizona first on his list (and, no, it's not in alphabetical order).
"It's going to take Rich Rodriguez a little bit longer than he anticipated, but Arizona is on the verge of becoming a consistent Top 25 program in the next several years under Rodriguez," Roussel writes.
The writer says we'll look back on 2013 four years from now and realize that the Wildcats are one of the programs that was in the process of "building something special."
Roussel uses the story of Jim Harbaugh to illustrate his point of having patience with new head coaches. Harbaugh went 9-15 in his first two years as head coach at Stanford, but the team improved to 20-6 over Harbaugh's next two seasons -- before he went to the NFL and had even more success with the San Francisco 49ers.
"While new coaches often generate excitement, the breakthrough doesn't come until year No. 3, 4, 5 or 6," Roussel writes.
Arizona went 8-5 in Rodriguez's first year. If that means the program has yet to blossom under his guidance, then Wildcats fans are going to love him by Year Three.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.