Updated Dec 24, 2013 - 12:37 pm
Chris Thomsen 'great resource' for ASU in Holiday Bowl prep
See, this time a year ago, Sun Devils offensive line coach Chris Thomsen was getting Texas Tech ready to play Minnesota in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.
Weeks earlier, Thomsen had been named interim head coach, replacing Tommy Tuberville who had accepted the job at Cincinnati.
"Really good group, much like our group here," Thomsen said looking back on his time in Lubbock. "When you got those kind of guys it makes your job easier. That's what I remember; just strong senior leadership helped us through that."
They did more than just get through that difficult transition. They won. Texas Tech defeated Minnesota 34-31.
Fast forward one year and Thomsen now finds himself lined up across from many of those same players he once shared the sideline with.
ASU (10-3) plays Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl on Monday, December 30; the two school's first meeting since 1999 and only the second-ever in the modern era.
"Great resource," head coach Todd Graham said of his first-year offensive line coach. "He knows them very well. He has great things to say about their personnel. Obviously knows their offensive guys extremely well. He's been a good resource for us."
Just how much assistance can Thomsen give?
"From a personnel standpoint, you've been around guys. You know what they're about," he said. "There's some guys on that team that you definitely have to try to take away that can beat you. I've seen Jace Amaro, the tight end (unanimous first-team All-American) who in my mind is a first-round draft pick, single-handedly beat people. He's a special player.
"Probably from a personnel standpoint more than anything, because what's on film schematically you can see that."
With Thomsen, Texas Tech went 8-5 last season. This season he stands in their way of a second straight eight-win campaign.
"It's going to be fun seeing those guys," he said. "It'll be fun to compete against them."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!