Arizona State coach Graham: Carl Bradford will play against UCLA
The junior defensive end tallied 11.5 sacks last season and has 5.5 so far this year. His 11 tackles for a loss lead the team, and the Devils are better off with him on the field.
Yet, during last Saturday's 30-17 win over Oregon State, Bradford found himself tethered to the sideline the entire fourth quarter after getting into a sideline shouting match with head coach Todd Graham.
"People make mistakes, they get passionate down there sometimes," Graham said after the game. "But as you can see, there's accountabilities. We've got to move forward. I don't want to dignify a great win with talking about something like that.
"He didn't go back in because we took him out."
Graham apparently feels Bradford has learned whatever lesson he needed to, as he told Doug and Wolf Friday that his player will suit up and be ready to go Saturday against UCLA.
"He's obviously, like we talk about, our guys are very passionate and sometimes guys can get a little overly passionate," the coach said. "We have accountabilities for those kind of things, but no, he's ready to go and we're all on the same page."
To say Saturday is a big game for the Sun Devils would be an understatement, as a win over No. 14 Bruins would clinch the Pac-12 South for No. 17 Arizona State.
But that's not why Bradford will be on the field, as Graham said it's important his players know that while passion and enthusiasm are wanted, it must be controlled when on the field.
"When we're out there on game day, we don't just represent ourselves," Graham said. "We represent our university, we represent our team, we represent our families, we represent our fans and our alumni and there are certain standards we're going to meet, period.
"Those things are things that happen. I do think you have a great teaching moment to teach and get better, and we'll be better for it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.