Updated Nov 8, 2013 - 9:19 am
Todd Graham wants to leave a legacy at Arizona State
One of Patterson's first orders of business could be his involvement in hiring a new football coach for the Longhorns. Mack Brown is in his 16th season as Texas' head coach, and there is much speculation about his job security as the 'Horns have gone just 28-18 in four seasons following a BCS title game appearance following the 2009 season.
Some believe Patterson would at least have a little interest in bringing ASU head coach Todd Graham to Austin. Graham's roots are in the Texas high school ranks, and he owns the reputation of being a job-hopper, having coached four schools in the last eight years.
Graham addressed the 800-pound elephant in the room Friday morning with Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620.
"I'm glad you asked that," Graham said. "The last thing we need in recruiting -- and we've got a great recruiting class that we've put together -- is all that kind of speculation and talk.
"And the reality is, Steve was involved in bringing me here, but (ASU president) Dr. (Michael) Crow is the one who hired me here and the reason I came here and I'm committed to the future of ASU. Obviously, we've come a long way and we've got a long way to go."
The speculation existed even before Patterson's departure, so dealing with it is nothing new for Graham.
"I can't control what people say, but the fact is I'm one hundred percent committed to be here, and looking forward to building something special," he said. "This is a place where I'd like to be able to look back and have a legacy. That's my intention here, and that's what we're focused on doing."
Graham has compiled a 14-7 record (9-5 in Pac-12 play) during his tenure at ASU.
The 22nd-ranked Sun Devils travel to Salt Lake City to play the Utah Utes (4-4, 1-4) Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!