Updated Oct 23, 2013 - 7:50 am
Arizona State AD Patterson: Sun Devils should be ranked right now
Yet, even though they just dismantled then-20th ranked Washington by a score of 53-24, they also find themselves outside of the top 25 in the polls.
Asked about his team's exclusion, ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta he feels the Devils have played well enough to be included.
"It's tough to get up there," he said. "It's tough if you've got two losses right now, but you beat the number 20 team in the country.
"Notre Dame was ranked at the beginning of the year, USC was ranked at the beginning of the year."
Patterson noted that ASU is 26th in the AP Top 25 Poll, so it is not as if the team is struggling for recognition.
Rankings or not, Patterson said the goal is for the Sun Devils to win the Pac-12 South and then a couple postseason games. Do that, and they'll definitely be ranked appropriately.
"I'd like to see us be back up there in the rankings," he said. "I think we ought to be."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.