Sun Devils looking to jump off the treadmill
Both teams had established they were not elite (Washington lost to Stanford and Oregon, ASU to Notre Dame and Stanford), yet both wanted to prove they were very good, that they were the next notch right below elite. The winner could claim that prize while the loser seemed destined to spend another year on the 7-6 or 8-5 treadmill.
That's partly why UW coach Steve Sarkisian called it their most important game and insisted that was not typical coach cliché.
The Devils' resounding win maintained hope that this can still be a very good, borderline great season for ASU.
Now comes the tricky part.
Winning on the road is one of the toughest things to do in college football. For ASU, the next phase of their test is about to commence.
Since 2008, this program has tallied zero conference wins outside the state of Arizona in the second half of the season. None. Other than a pair of wins against Arizona and the bowl victory against Navy last year, there are no road victories to speak of in the second half of the season since beating Washington in November of 2008.
That's not all on Todd Graham. Or Dennis Erickson. It's simply a reflection of how badly the Devils have struggled to finish off promising starts the last several years, in particular when those finishes call for a significant road win or two.
In this case, they might need three, as three of their next four are on the road (at Washington St., at Utah, home vs. Oregon State, at UCLA). If they can find a way to do what they have not lately, this will be a special season for ASU. If not, it's back to the old treadmill.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!