ASU coach Todd Graham looking for leaders
Head coach Todd Graham is going into his second season with a team some think is BCS worthy.
However, Graham says his team is not at that level yet.
"Look guys, we just got here a year and a half ago," Graham said. "You think you're going to win a championship in your second year by going through the motions?
"It is not going to happen. You got to work at an intensity that is second to none."
With camp just getting started, captains have not been named for the season, but Graham is giving his seniors a big voice.
"How we do that is we evaluate the people that have the most investment, not everyone gets a vote," Graham said. "The people that have the most invested are the guys that have been here four or five years, their vote is a lot bigger than someone that just got here.
"That does not mean we don't listen to everyone else, but being a leader, if they had a vote for who would be the head coach everyday, I probably would not win. Leadership is just something you do every day."
Graham did call out two players by name as guys who have a big influence in the locker room.
"Our leadership on our team, I can clearly tell you that the most influential players on our football team are William Sutton and Taylor Kelly."
Kelly started every game for the Devils last year, throwing for over 3,000 yards with 29 touchdowns and nine interceptions, and Sutton is the reigning Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year.
Other players mentioned by Graham as leaders in the locker room were running backs Marion Grice, D.J. Foster, tight end Chris Coyle, offensive lineman Evan Finkenberg and safety Alden Darby.
"Most years that I've been coaching, if you can name two captains, then you are doing good," Graham said.
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.