ASU coach Todd Graham looking for leaders
Head coach Todd Graham is going into his second season with a team some think is BCS worthy.
However, Graham says his team is not at that level yet.
"Look guys, we just got here a year and a half ago," Graham said. "You think you're going to win a championship in your second year by going through the motions?
"It is not going to happen. You got to work at an intensity that is second to none."
With camp just getting started, captains have not been named for the season, but Graham is giving his seniors a big voice.
"How we do that is we evaluate the people that have the most investment, not everyone gets a vote," Graham said. "The people that have the most invested are the guys that have been here four or five years, their vote is a lot bigger than someone that just got here.
"That does not mean we don't listen to everyone else, but being a leader, if they had a vote for who would be the head coach everyday, I probably would not win. Leadership is just something you do every day."
Graham did call out two players by name as guys who have a big influence in the locker room.
"Our leadership on our team, I can clearly tell you that the most influential players on our football team are William Sutton and Taylor Kelly."
Kelly started every game for the Devils last year, throwing for over 3,000 yards with 29 touchdowns and nine interceptions, and Sutton is the reigning Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year.
Other players mentioned by Graham as leaders in the locker room were running backs Marion Grice, D.J. Foster, tight end Chris Coyle, offensive lineman Evan Finkenberg and safety Alden Darby.
"Most years that I've been coaching, if you can name two captains, then you are doing good," Graham said.
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.