ASU coach Todd Graham looking for leaders
Head coach Todd Graham is going into his second season with a team some think is BCS worthy.
However, Graham says his team is not at that level yet.
"Look guys, we just got here a year and a half ago," Graham said. "You think you're going to win a championship in your second year by going through the motions?
"It is not going to happen. You got to work at an intensity that is second to none."
With camp just getting started, captains have not been named for the season, but Graham is giving his seniors a big voice.
"How we do that is we evaluate the people that have the most investment, not everyone gets a vote," Graham said. "The people that have the most invested are the guys that have been here four or five years, their vote is a lot bigger than someone that just got here.
"That does not mean we don't listen to everyone else, but being a leader, if they had a vote for who would be the head coach everyday, I probably would not win. Leadership is just something you do every day."
Graham did call out two players by name as guys who have a big influence in the locker room.
"Our leadership on our team, I can clearly tell you that the most influential players on our football team are William Sutton and Taylor Kelly."
Kelly started every game for the Devils last year, throwing for over 3,000 yards with 29 touchdowns and nine interceptions, and Sutton is the reigning Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year.
Other players mentioned by Graham as leaders in the locker room were running backs Marion Grice, D.J. Foster, tight end Chris Coyle, offensive lineman Evan Finkenberg and safety Alden Darby.
"Most years that I've been coaching, if you can name two captains, then you are doing good," Graham said.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!