Updated Aug 3, 2013 - 7:22 pm
Former Sun Devil Curley Culp inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame
Former Arizona State Sun Devil and Kansas City Chiefs defensive tackle Curley Culp was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a senior nominee on Saturday evening in Canton, Ohio.
Culp, who was one of seven inductees in the Class of 2013, was presented by his son Chad for enshrinement.
"This is an occasion that has long been in my dreams and has now become a reality," Culp said during his speech.
Culp was born in Yuma, Arizona and was an All-American in football and wrestling at ASU.
He was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the second round of the 1968 NFL Draft. The Broncos dealt Culp to Kansas City where he went on to play an integral role in Chiefs' dominant defense, culminating in a Super Bowl IV championship.
Culp became the fifth defensive player of the 1960 Chiefs to be inducted in the NFL Hall of Fame.
"I cannot express how glorious a feeling this is for me and my family, who have long hoped with me that this day would come," Culp said. "So to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame gives me joy and inspiration that will last the rest of my life."
After spending six and a half successful seasons in Kansas City, the Chiefs traded Culp to the Houston Oilers in 1974. With the Oilers, Culp helped transform a defense that later rose to prominence. He was honored with the NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award in 1975, after an 11.5 sack season.
He also led the Oilers to back-to-back AFC championship games in 1978 and 1979.
The five-time NFL Pro Bowler was known for his strength and quickness.
Culp played in 179 games and finished his prestigious 14-year NFL career with the Detroit Lions.
The 67-year-old ended his gracious speech with enthusiastic appreciation.
"I am honored to be wearing Hall of Fame gold," Culp said.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!