Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 4:23 pm
ESPN Insider: ASU football 'underrated' in coaches' poll
However, ESPN analyst Travis Haney, in an Insider piece, listed the Sun Devils as one of the underrated programs to look out for in 2013.
Not ranking Arizona State might have been a bigger mistake than not ranking Miami. The coaches must have missed the end of Todd Graham's first year in which the Sun Devils blistered Washington State, upset rival Arizona on the road and put up 62 points on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
Haney also praises ASU's defensive front -- anchored by Will Sutton, Marcus Hardison and Carl Bradford -- saying those three "make up quite possibly the top D-line in the Pac-12."
Haney says coaches shouldn't be surprised if the program makes its way into national rankings during the year.
The difficulty of the schedule could keep the Sun Devils shuffling up and down the polls, but there are also big non-conference opportunities such as Wisconsin and Notre Dame. A lot of coaches I've talked to said they wouldn't blink if Arizona State represented the South in the Pac-12 title game.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was