Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 10:39 am
Sun Devil legend Wilford 'Whizzer' White passes away
White played from 1947-50 for the Sun Devils and was the school's all-time leading rusher with 3,173 yards when he graduated. He was an inductee to the ASU Sports Hall of Fame and the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 33 retired by the school.
White had an All-American season in 1950, running for 1,502 yards and and leading the team to its first ever nine-win season. His 150.2 rushing yards per game and 22 touchdowns that season have yet to be topped by any Sun Devil.
He recorded 327 career points, the most of any Sun Devils position player in history, and his 48 career touchdowns are tied for second-highest. White also returned punts and played defense -- holding the record for career punt return average and collecting eight career interceptions, returning three of those for touchdowns.
"Whizzer embodied all of the attributes of the Sun Devil Way that we teach our players," head football coach Todd Graham said in a press release. "The mark he left on this program will always echo through Sun Devil Stadium."
White was born in Mesa, Ariz. on Sept. 26, 1928, and attended Mesa High School. After finishing his career at ASU, he was drafted in the third round of the 1951 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears.
His son, Danny, was a quarterback for the Sun Devils from 1971-75 and left ASU as its all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns. Danny went on to play 13 seasons for the Dallas Cowboys and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1997. Danny joined his father in the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 11 being retired by the school and taken out of use.
- ASU's Todd Graham a finalist for Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.