Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 10:39 am
Sun Devil legend Wilford 'Whizzer' White passes away
White played from 1947-50 for the Sun Devils and was the school's all-time leading rusher with 3,173 yards when he graduated. He was an inductee to the ASU Sports Hall of Fame and the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 33 retired by the school.
White had an All-American season in 1950, running for 1,502 yards and and leading the team to its first ever nine-win season. His 150.2 rushing yards per game and 22 touchdowns that season have yet to be topped by any Sun Devil.
He recorded 327 career points, the most of any Sun Devils position player in history, and his 48 career touchdowns are tied for second-highest. White also returned punts and played defense -- holding the record for career punt return average and collecting eight career interceptions, returning three of those for touchdowns.
"Whizzer embodied all of the attributes of the Sun Devil Way that we teach our players," head football coach Todd Graham said in a press release. "The mark he left on this program will always echo through Sun Devil Stadium."
White was born in Mesa, Ariz. on Sept. 26, 1928, and attended Mesa High School. After finishing his career at ASU, he was drafted in the third round of the 1951 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears.
His son, Danny, was a quarterback for the Sun Devils from 1971-75 and left ASU as its all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns. Danny went on to play 13 seasons for the Dallas Cowboys and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1997. Danny joined his father in the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 11 being retired by the school and taken out of use.
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.