Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 3:01 pm
ASU coach Graham: Kelly, Sutton helping to fill leadership void
Then he went out and passed for 3,039 yards and 29 touchdowns, led the team to a win in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl and, well, things have certainly changed.
Now, ASU head coach Todd Graham told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Kelly is not only the quarterback, but the team's leader on offense, too.
"He's got a year under his belt now," Graham said. "Just the way the whole team looks at him now is different than it was when he was last spring when -- this time, last spring he was third-team quarterback -- so obviously the leadership and the direction that the team is, obviously we've got a quarterback and the team looks to him for that leadership."
Graham added that senior defensive lineman Will Sutton is the one people look to on defense.
"Will was a great player last year," Graham accurately stated. "He was defensive player of the year, a consensus All-American, but he just played. I wouldn't categorize him as a leader."
But as is the case with Kelly, it's amazing the kind of difference one year can make.
"He has taken that leadership role, and we've challenged him with that," Graham said. "We've challenged him, that we're going to coach him harder than anybody else on the team, that he's the best player on defense and we've got to set the standard with him."
Graham pointed to the "PT42" jerseys, which are given to players who exemplify all the coaching staff is looking for in a given player. Four players donned one Thursday, though Sutton is leading the way.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.