Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 2:34 pm
ASU basketball's fate to be determined on the road
Since their 14-2 start to the season, the Sun Devils have gone 6-6 and are on the brink of blowing their opportunity of making 'the big dance' for just the third time in ten seasons.
ASU has its work cut out for them in their last three road games to finish the season.
Wednesday night begins their three-game trip, as the Sun Devils start off against the Bruins, who have won four of their last five. UCLA (20-7, 10-4 Pac-12) is also making a late season push towards getting into tournament and is being led by freshman Shabazz Muhammad. The Sun Devils defeated the Bruins at home on Jan. 26, 78-60 behind Jordan Bachynski's 22 points and Carrick Felix's 23.
Coach Herb Sendek will then take his team south for a matchup with the Trojans on Saturday. USC took the Sun Devils into overtime back in January, but fell 98-93. The Trojans are 12-15 and 7-7 in the Pac-12, but have gone 5-5 since interim coach Bob Cantu took over for Kevin O'Neill on Jan. 13.
The final game of the season will be against No. 11 UA at McKale Memorial Center. ASU stuck around in the first meeting between the teams, as the Devils were down just three at the half. But the Wildcats (23-4, 11-4 Pac-12) ran away in the second, outscoring the Sun Devils 42-28 to win 71-54 in Tempe.
As much as the game may mean for the nationally ranked Wildcats, it could potentially pop or seal the bubble ASU is sitting on.
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Arizona State dips in national polls after loss to Stanford in Pac-12 Championship
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition