Updated Jan 26, 2013 - 10:31 am
Charli Turner Thorne notches 300th win at ASU
The win allowed ASU head coach Charli Turner Thorne to reach a milestone in her successful career. It was Turner Thorne's 300th victory at ASU. She becomes only the third coach in conference history to reach that mark, joining Stanford's Tara VanDerveer (726 wins) and former USC and Washington coach Chris Gobrecht (312 wins).
The Sun Devils were led in scoring by senior Janae Fulcher and sophomore Promise Amukamara, who had nine points each. ASU dominated the second half, outscoring USC 40-17 after trailing 36-20 at the break.
Turner Thorne took over at Arizona State in 1996 after three seasons as the head coach at Northern Arizona University. She's guided the Sun Devils to 11 straight postseasons, including eight appearances in the NCAA Tournament. Arizona State advanced to the Elite 8 under Turner Thorne in 2007 and 2009.
ASU will look for a sweep and Turner Thorne's 301st Sun Devil victory Sunday in Los Angeles as they visit the 19th-ranked UCLA Bruins at Pauley Pavilion.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.