ASU's Coyle and Kelly forge bond on and off the field
Arizona State tight end Chris Coyle and quarterback Taylor Kelly have forged a close relationship and it has certainly paid dividends on the field.
Coyle emerged as ASU's leading receiver with 53 catches for 659 yards to along with five touchdowns in 2012. He needs just three catches in the Sun Devils' bowl game against Navy to surpass Seahawks' Zach Miller for the school's single-season record for a tight end.
A lot of Coyle's success this season can be attributed to Kelly, who has afforded the tight end with consistent opportunities game in and game out. Coyle believes his quarterback's temperament is a big reason for the team's tremendous strides on offense.
"The biggest thing that I like about Taylor Kelly is his poise," Coyle told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday. "He's very calm and composed and I feel like it plays out on the field."
In his first year as ASU's starting quarterback, Kelly has thrown for 2,772 yards and 25 touchdowns with just nine interceptions in 2012.
Coyle said he's most impressed with Kelly's ability to remain even keel in even the most difficult of circumstances.
"There's been a couple times where he's had to roll out of the pocket and just a couple games where he's had a little bit more pressure but he's still able to maintain his focus and find that guy open downfield," Coyle stated.
As an offense, ASU has scored 36.4 points per game and Coyle connecting with his quarterback for clutch receptions and scores is a big reason why.
"I really just wanted the opportunity to go out on the field and show what I had and just be able to make plays for the Sun Devils," Coyle said. "I just tried to take advantage of every opportunity that's been given to me."
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works