Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 2:21 pm
Graham, Devils prepare for triple option
When they take on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, the Devils will be trying to find a way to stop the Midshipmen's potent triple option attack.
"Their offense is one that is very difficult to get TFLs (tackles for loss) on because very few negative yardage plays because you are quick hitting, dives, the triple option inside," Graham said.
The Arizona State defense has done a good job pressuring the quarterback and stopping the pass this season, but that won't help too much against the run-heavy Navy attack.
"Their strength is a challenge for us because if there is anything that we probably haven't done as well against and where we need to make the most improvement is in our run defense," Graham said.
If Graham's Devils expect to slow down the sixth-ranked rushing attack in the country, they will need to stop true freshman quarterback Keenan Reynolds, who leads the team with 10 rushing touchdowns.
According to Graham, the scout team has been trying to simulate Reynolds and the triple option attack with freshman wide receiver Parker Rasmusson and other athletes manning the quarterback position.
"The problem is that their quarterback can throw it and do all that, it's tough to simulate. I think he is the key to their offense," Graham said. "I have been very impressed."
Despite ASU's lack of success stopping the run this season and their lack of experience against the triple option, Graham said he doesn't plan on adjusting his usual game plan much.
"We are going to do what we do," Graham said. "It boils down to fundamentals, blocking, tackling and being sound in what you're doing."
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- ASU defense ready for the challenge presented by Stanford's power running game
- ESPN Radio College GameDay to be in Tempe
- Former ASU star Jake Plummer sees himself in Taylor Kelly
- Special teams key for ASU against Stanford in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday December 4The Pac 12 Championship will be a moment to remember at Sun Devil Stadium
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN College Football Analyst - Wednesday December 4A national perspective on the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference - Tuesday December 3Scott previews the Pac-12 championship game.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday December 3May Day previews the Pac-12 Championship game.