Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 8:05 am
Graham: Winning a bowl game just the 'next step' for ASU program
But with just weeks left in his first season with the Sun Devils, Graham wants more from his team when they take on Navy on December 29 in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
"You're going to a bowl game first to win it and for the experience second," Graham said Sunday after practice. "The bowl experience is a great experience, but it's not any good if you don't win.
"Our goal is to win our eighth game and to win a bowl championship. Winning a bowl championship would be the next step for our program."
The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl will be Graham's fifth appearance (3-1) as a coach in a bowl game. He previously took Rice to the New Orleans Bowl and Tulsa to the GMAC and Hawaii Bowls.
While the extra game allows the Sun Devils to practice 15 more times in 2012, similar to a spring camp, Graham was also very pleased to have the chance to play in a California-based bowl game for recruiting purposes.
"It's a great location for us and for our recruiting base," said Graham. "To go to the Bay Area is nice, because obviously California is such an important place for us. It's where a lot of our players' families are, and we have almost 20,000 alumni in that area. It's a perfect situation for us."
Graham and Co. will go up against a good 7-4 Midshipmen team led by the running duo of Gee Gee Greene and Noah Copeland. Before they play ASU, however, Navy still has its annual rivalry game on December 8 against Army.
"I've gone up against them quite a number of times," said Graham. "They are fierce, they are disciplined and very tough. They do a great job executing their system and scheme."
The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl will mark the first time the two programs have met in football.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?