Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 12:26 am
Fork Report: Sun Devils rally in fourth quarter to win Duel in the Desert
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's game against Arizona on November 23. Final score: Arizona State 41, Arizona 34.
The Sun Devils regained the Territorial Cup, scoring 24 unanswered points in the fourth quarter. The victory -- the first against an FBS team with a winning record this season -- was set up by an offense that scored touchdowns after each of the four turnovers forced by the defense.
Marion Grice had three of those scores and finished with a career-high 156 yards on 18 carries.
The Sun Devils committed seven penalties for a season-high 86 yards; however, four of those penalties came in the first quarter.
He Said It:
"It showed the character that the guys have," head coach Todd Graham said of his team's fourth quarter rally that secured the Sun Devils' first winning season since 2007. "I'm just so proud to hold this Territorial Cup."
• For the fourth consecutive season, the visiting team won the Duel in the Desert.
• Senior linebacker Brandon Magee set a new career-high with 17 tackles (14 solo) to go over 100 tackles for the season. He became the first Sun Devil to have more than 100 tackles in a single season since Robert James had 106 in 2007.
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils (7-5, 5-4) are bowl eligible for the second straight year. They now await their postseason destination, likely to be announced Sunday, December 2.
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.