Fork Report: Kelly, Devils struggle in loss to Oregon State
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's November 3 loss to Oregon State. Final score: Oregon 36, Arizona State 26.
Senior running back Cameron Marshall scored his 35th rushing touchdown to move past Leon Burton (1955-58) into sole possession of second place for most career rushing touchdowns in school history. Marshall's one-yard first quarter run accounted for the Sun Devils only offensive score of the game until Marion Grice's touchdown catch (his seventh of the season and 13th score overall) with 22 seconds left in the game.
The Sun Devils gained their fewest yards (303) since Pac-12 play began as Taylor Kelly (22-of-41 for 153 yards) and the offense failed to stay on the field, converting just 4-of-17 on 3rd down. Josh Hubner as a result punted eight times, establishing a new season-high.
Defensively, the Sun Devils allowed too many "explosive plays", including scoring plays of 50, 53 and 49 yards. Oregon State became the second straight opponent to throw for more than 250 yards (267) against the nation's third-ranked pass defense (148).
He Said It:
"I want to give credit to Oregon State," head coach Todd Graham said. "They whipped us. They were better than us [Saturday]. We didn't play very well. We did a poor job executing. We just didn't get it done."
The Sun Devils recorded their first safety since 2010 (September 4 against Portland State) when defensive back Kevin Ayers blocked an Oregon State punt out of the back of the end zone in the first quarter. ASU scored 16 points in the opening quarter against a defense that had allowed 10 total first quarter points in its first seven games combined.
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils (5-4, 3-3) play their second road game in as many weeks. ASU travels to USC (6-3, 4-3) next Saturday, November 10. A kickoff time has yet to be announced.
- ASU's Todd Graham a finalist for Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.