Coyotes hang on for win over Penguins behind solid Greiss: By The Numbers
They lost a two-goal lead before falling in overtime to the New York Rangers on Monday. Goaltender Mike Smith suffered a leg injury that appeared to be serious, though he's now listed as day-to-day.
But then things turned around -- at least for one day.
The Coyotes raced out to an early lead and Mikkel Boedker buried the eventual game-winner midway through the second period, and Phoenix held on for a 3-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins -- locking up a season sweep of the second-best team in the Eastern Conference.
Here's a closer look at the win, by the numbers:
The Coyotes were called for just one penalty in the win, when Chris Summers was whistled for a two-minute interference call midway through the first period.
Coyotes captain Shane Doan tallied two assists in the win, which was reminiscent of the grind-it-out style Phoenix has been so successful in employing under head coach Dave Tippett.
The Coyotes' defense limited Pittsburgh star Sidney Crosby to just two shots on goal in his team-high 23 minutes of ice time, though he assisted on the Penguins' goal that tied the game at one.
After Tuesday's win, the Coyotes found themselves with a three-point lead over the Dallas Stars for the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference playoffs, and also trailed the Minnesota Wild by three points for the No. 7 spot.
The Coyotes were without four regulars in Tuesday's win -- Mike Ribeiro, Derek Morris, Lauri Korpikoski and Smith, but still found a way to earn a much-needed two points on the road.
Coyotes goalie Thomas Greiss made 23 saves while stepping in for Smith, who hasn't given a timetable for his return. The Coyotes called up 21-year-old rookie Mark Visentin to serve as their backup goalkeeper while Smith is unable to play.
Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson logged a game-high 27 minutes of ice time -- almost four minutes more than the next-closest player on either team. Ekman-Larsson got three shots on goal to go along with a blocked shot and hit.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.