Phoenix Coyotes still fail to impress Grantland writer
The team has earned 31 points by way of a 14-4-3 record, a number that is good enough for fourth-best in the Western Conference and would be tops in the East.
They've been good -- very good -- and may have yet to even play their best hockey.
In his "First-Quarter NHL Report Card," the Coyotes are listed in the "Bottom-Feeder" group, though he acknowledges he was "super-wrong" about them.
As big a surprise as the Avalanche have been, the Coyotes may be an even bigger one. They've very quietly slipped into the league's top five, thanks largely to a 9-0-1 record at home. There's some evidence their success may be a bit of an illusion, like a scary 47.8 percent Fenwick Close and a plus-7 goals differential that's merely OK. But for now, long-suffering Coyotes fans can agree this is clearly a team on the move! (Oh … sorry, guys. Poor choice of words.)
McIndoe admitted his idea that the Coyotes would struggle to score this season may have been a bit off base, as the Coyotes are currently third in the NHL in goals scored and are averaging 3.29 goals per game, which is good enough for fourth in the league.
But before you think this is McIndoe's mea culpa and that he's ready to admit the Coyotes are for real, think again. As part of his "three predictions for the rest of the way," he writes that "The Coyotes and Avalanche both miss the playoffs."
Doubling down can be a dicey proposition, especially when you're sitting on a 15. Is that essentially what McIndoe is doing, essentially refusing to acknowledge what's directly in front of him in hopes of things turning out the way he originally wanted it to be?
We'll find out.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.