Coyotes' Tippett on win over L.A.: 'We needed a game like that'
On Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Wednesday, Coyotes' head coach Dave Tippett said he sees L.A. as his team's biggest rival, mostly due to that matchup in the 2012 playoffs.
"They're a division rival, and I think really the rivalries, you get them through playoff series and we had a playoff series that ended not great for us," Tippett said. "They beat us obviously and [there was] lots of shenanigans going on at the end of the games, so you stand to build a little animosity, and those things tend to carry over year to year."
The teams have played twice already this season, with the Kings taking the first one 7-4 in Los Angeles. With the chance to exact revenge on their home ice, the Coyotes took advantage and responded with a thorough 3-1 victory.
"We needed a game like that, we needed to get into the grit part of the game," Tippett said. "They're going to kind of push you around a little bit, and we had guys come up and play pretty strong."
In particular, goalie Mike Smith's play was impressive, and Tippett liked seeing the team's strong defensive performance, especially after the first meeting between the two clubs.
"I think it was important for [Smith] and the rest of our group to make sure we can play a lot better than we played last week in Los Angeles," Tippett added. "Giving up seven goals is not how we want to play. I think that was talked about well before the game. I felt we came out and played accordingly. Smitty was the lead horse in that part of it."
The teams don't face each other again until Jan. 28, when the Coyotes host the Kings shortly before the Olympic break.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?