Coyotes' Tippett: Center Andy Miele impressive in win over L.A. Kings
Miele, 25, had played in eight career NHL games prior to this year -- seven in 2011-12 and one last season. Until his two assists Tuesday night, however, he had yet to make his mark in the stat books. Head coach Dave Tippett was impressed with Miele, especially for how far he's come since the Coyotes signed him out of Miami University (Ohio) in 2011.
"His game has certainly matured," Tippett told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley with Vince Marotta. "When he was a young player coming up, there was some parts of his game that needed to improve. Faceoffs, just reads on defending and stuff. His game has really improved."
Tippett gave credit to Miele's work ethic during his time with the Portland Pirates, a Coyotes' minor league affiliate.
"Every time he's gone down to the American [Hockey] League, he focuses on the things he has to work on, he's wants to get better at them and he's waiting for his opportunity," Tippett said.
The Kings are an elite team, and, according to Tippett, not an easy opponent for Miele to face in his season debut. Yet, the center had the best game of his career, and opened a lot of eyes because of it.
"He jumped in last night and L.A. is not a small team, you've got to be ready to compete against big players," Tippett said. "He jumped in, he played a whale of a game for us.
"He continues to grow in our organization, and if last night's game is any indication, he'll continue to work his way into the NHL. It's great to see, he's a great young man. He really is. You like to see those guys make it because they do it off all sheer will and hard work."
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?