Coyotes' Tippett: Center Andy Miele impressive in win over L.A. Kings
Miele, 25, had played in eight career NHL games prior to this year -- seven in 2011-12 and one last season. Until his two assists Tuesday night, however, he had yet to make his mark in the stat books. Head coach Dave Tippett was impressed with Miele, especially for how far he's come since the Coyotes signed him out of Miami University (Ohio) in 2011.
"His game has certainly matured," Tippett told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley with Vince Marotta. "When he was a young player coming up, there was some parts of his game that needed to improve. Faceoffs, just reads on defending and stuff. His game has really improved."
Tippett gave credit to Miele's work ethic during his time with the Portland Pirates, a Coyotes' minor league affiliate.
"Every time he's gone down to the American [Hockey] League, he focuses on the things he has to work on, he's wants to get better at them and he's waiting for his opportunity," Tippett said.
The Kings are an elite team, and, according to Tippett, not an easy opponent for Miele to face in his season debut. Yet, the center had the best game of his career, and opened a lot of eyes because of it.
"He jumped in last night and L.A. is not a small team, you've got to be ready to compete against big players," Tippett said. "He jumped in, he played a whale of a game for us.
"He continues to grow in our organization, and if last night's game is any indication, he'll continue to work his way into the NHL. It's great to see, he's a great young man. He really is. You like to see those guys make it because they do it off all sheer will and hard work."
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.