Coyotes' Mike Smith makes history with goal vs. Red Wings
After falling behind 2-0 to the Detroit Red Wings, the 'Yotes rallied for four straight goals, ensuring that they'd sweep the season series from the team from Hockeytown.
That's when goalie Mike Smith added the cherry to a very sweet sundae for Phoenix in a 5-2 win.
With Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard on the bench after being pulled for an extra skater, the puck made it's way into the Coyotes' crease with just seconds left on the clock. Smith handled it, and did what any goalie would try to do in that situation -- he took a shot.
Three seconds and 180 feet later, the puck found the net, making Smith just the 11th goalie in NHL history to get credit for scoring a goal in a game and the first in franchise history.
- Coyotes coach Tippett: Backup G Thomas Greiss has 'earned the confidence of his teammates'
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Ice Bites: Where would the Coyotes host an outdoor NHL game?
- Report: Phoenix Coyotes ready to host outdoor game
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.