Coyotes' Mike Smith makes history with goal vs. Red Wings
After falling behind 2-0 to the Detroit Red Wings, the 'Yotes rallied for four straight goals, ensuring that they'd sweep the season series from the team from Hockeytown.
That's when goalie Mike Smith added the cherry to a very sweet sundae for Phoenix in a 5-2 win.
With Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard on the bench after being pulled for an extra skater, the puck made it's way into the Coyotes' crease with just seconds left on the clock. Smith handled it, and did what any goalie would try to do in that situation -- he took a shot.
Three seconds and 180 feet later, the puck found the net, making Smith just the 11th goalie in NHL history to get credit for scoring a goal in a game and the first in franchise history.
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.