'Yotes Notes: Coyotes fall in second straight road blowout
The Coyotes again fell behind in the game's opening minutes when New York's Peter Regin found the top-right corner of the net just 1:49 into the first period following a Coyotes' turnover. The Islanders added a second goal during a lengthy 5-on-3 advantage toward the end of the first period, and scored a third midway through the second period to take a 3-0 lead.
Phoenix responded to a 3-0 deficit by scoring to make it 3-1 for the second consecutive game, but the Islanders scored twice more in the period to take a 5-1 lead into the second intermission.
The Coyotes lost 6-1 and have been outscored 10-2 over their last two games. There's not much good in that. The only bright spot may be the Coyotes' offense -- though it score just one goal, Phoenix out-shot New York 34-28.
Phoenix also racked up 34 hits to New York's 15 and the faceoff battle was nearly even.
Goalkeeper Mike Smith wasn't given much of a chance for the second consecutive game and didn't play the third period.
The Coyotes found themselves in an almost impossible 3-0 hole for the second straight game. The defense was porous, and Phoenix has allowed a league-high five power-play goals in its first three games after the Islanders went 2 for 6 Tuesday.
HE SAID IT
"As a professional athlete, you get embarrassed. That's not acceptable. Not even close." - Coyotes captain Shane Doan to Fox Sports Arizona's Todd Walsh after the loss.
Phoenix defenseman Rusty Klesla may make his return during the Coyotes' four-game road trip. Klesla has been sidelined since suffering a concussion on a questionable hit from Los Angeles Kings center Jordan Nolan in a preseason game on Sept. 16.
The Coyotes take on the Detroit Red Wings Thursday at 4:30 p.m. in Detroit's Joe Louis Arena.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?