Updated Apr 11, 2013 - 12:19 pm
Coyotes coach: Mike Smith playing well, will need to keep it up
He's won more games than he's lost, he's made saves on 91 percent of the shots he's faced, he's giving up an average of 2.59 goals per game and has produced five shutouts.
Yet, if the playoffs started today Phoenix would be home watching for the first time since 2009, meaning they -- and Smith -- have some work to do over the final eight games of the season.
"The reality of it is he needs to have a real hot streak for us here to give us the extra push we need," Coyotes coach Dave Tippett told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "And you look at the last three games he's played, he's done that in every game, giving us a chance to win."
Smith returned from his latest injury on April 6 against the Avalanche, and proceeded to stop all 24 shots he faced in the 4-0 win. He gave up just two goals a couple nights later in a loss at Vancouver, but allowed just one goal in a win over Edmonton Wednesday night.
While it's not exactly breaking news, a healthy and effective Smith would go a long way toward the Coyotes reaching the postseason for the fourth consecutive season. And given how the goalie fared last year during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, there's no telling just how far the Coyotes could go.
"He has that experience, he's a real focused guy right now," Tippett said. "He wants to make sure that he's doing everything he can to help us keep this playoff push alive and I look for him to continue playing very well."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Coyotes poised to hit the reset button after losing identity
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.