Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 6:25 am
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes' losing ways continue against Red Wings
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 3-2 loss to the Red Wings on March 25.
The Coyotes generated offensive zone pressure that hasn't been noticeable in quite awhile. They elevated the puck, looked for rebounds on shots and won the board battles on the forecheck. It didn't gain them a win, but they scored. Given the state of the Coyotes right now, that's a good thing.
Rob Klinkhammer continued his solid play for the Coyotes. He scored a goal in the first period and leads the team in shooting percentage at 18.2 percent.
Guess what? The Coyotes gave up the first goal. Stop me if you've heard this one before. They have given up the first goal in six straight games, all losses.
Phoenix again struggled with discipline, racking up a total of five penalties for 10 total minutes spent a man down. They took a two-minute minor for too many men on the ice early in the third period. Pavel Datsyuk scored the go-ahead goal on the ensuing power play and the Coyotes were fittingly handed their sixth straight loss.
The Coyotes took their first lead in a game since March 12, when they beat the Los Angeles Kings 5-2. That is also the last game they won.
The Coyotes welcomed an over-capacity crowd of 17,428. It's their second straight sellout.
Mike Smith missed his first game since he collided with Alexander Edler of the Vancouver Canucks last Thursday. He is considered day-to-day.
Forward Radim Vrbata tallied his second point since returning from injury. He now has two points in the two games since he returned.
The Coyotes will head to Minnesota to take on the Wild on Wednesday at 6 p.m., their first in a three-game roadie. Who knows? Maybe they need to see some snow to get a win.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.