Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 7:07 am
Off the Ice: Possible trade targets for the Phoenix Coyotes
The Phoenix Coyotes have done a complete 180 over the past week.
Despite an offense that seemed to be chugging along, the Coyotes have failed to register a goal in 194:05 of play. Think about that. The last time they scored, the Catholic Church was still looking for its new pope.
The Coyotes' offense has struggled since the departure of Radim Vrbata, who was placed on injured reserve after breaking a bone in his foot. He led the team in goals last season with 35 and his absence essentially removes the team's top sniper.
With that being said, it's time for the Coyotes to get active in the trade market. The team simply can't score and, should Vrbata be out for a while, the offense will continue to struggle. The team has a plethora of defensemen, some of which could be surrendered in an attempt to bring a scorer the Coyotes desperately need.
I didn't factor any cap space into the trade, since the Coyotes currently have over $19 million in room. I'm sure the NHL has put some limits on spending, but a talented scorer will likely cost a defenseman and a prospect, likely making enough room to absorb a slightly larger contract.
Also, I'm aware of the names I'm listing below. They are all household names (or should be) and will cost the Coyotes. The team can't look to bring in another role player on a roster that's already overloaded with them.
As far as I can tell, the guys below would be available for the right price and would also fit well into the Coyotes system.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!