Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 10:46 pm
'Yotes Notes: Boedker nets two goals in Coyotes win
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 5-2 win over the Kings on March 12.
Mikkel Boedker broke his four-game drought with a point, scoring two goals to lead the Coyotes past the Kings on Tuesday night. This was Boedker's third career two-goal game.
Shane Doan and Raffi Torres each added a goal and an assist. The Coyotes' captain netted his team-leading ninth goal.
Rookie Rob Klinkhammer scored his second career NHL goal in the third period.
Netminder Mike Smith was strong between the pipes for the Coyotes, making 31 saves on the night. Smith bested Kings' goalie Jonathan Quick, who made 24 stops for LA.
The Coyotes can also credit another strong first period to their recent string of success. Phoenix scored two goals and looked solid on the penalty kill in the game's opening period.
The Coyotes' penalty kill did not look as strong in the second period, when the Kings battled back from a 4-0 deficit to cut the lead to 4-2. Mike Richards and Dustin Brown each had power play goals in the period for Los Angeles.
The Coyotes notched their second straight win and have now won four out of their past six contests.
Phoenix will play LA two times next week, Tuesday and Wednesday, on the road.
The Coyotes improved to 13-10-3 on the season. Los Angeles fell to 14-9-2 in the defeat.
The Coyotes will head to St. Louis to take on the Blues on Thursday, March 14. The game is scheduled to start at 5:00 p.m.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.