'Yotes Notes: Coyotes fall to Stars in shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 4-3 shootout loss to the Stars on February 1.
Forward Martin Hanzal scored twice for the Coyotes in the second period in his return from a lower body injury. His second goal tied the game at three a piece. Hanzal now has five goals on the season.
Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson had two assists on the night. He is second on the team in points with seven.
The Coyotes played in their first shootout of the year but were unable to pull off a win. Radim Vrbata recorded the lone Phoenix goal during the shootout.
Jaromir Jagr proved once again to be a thorn in the Coyotes side. He scored the game-winner in the shootout to give the Stars the victory. Jagr had two goals and two assists in Dallas' season opening win over Phoenix.
The Coyotes were 0 of 3 on the power play. Phoenix ranked eighth with a man advantage heading into Friday's contest.
• Mike Smith made his return to the lineup on Friday after missing four games due to a lower body injury. The Coyotes netminder made 21 saves in the loss.
• Raffi Torres served the last game of his 21-game suspension and is expected to return to the ice on Saturday for the Coyotes.
The Coyotes will face the Stars again on Saturday night. The game is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. MST at Jobing.com Arena.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes' GM - Wednesday May 29The GM discusses his contract extension and the futures of head coach Dave Tippett and goaltender Mi
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.