Updated Feb 1, 2013 - 8:11 am
Prospective buyer Greg Jamison misses deadline to buy Coyotes
Prospective buyer Greg Jamison had until midnight Thursday to complete his purchase of the Coyotes from the NHL under the terms of a 20-year, $308 million lease agreement with Glendale for Jobing.com Arena.
"We will not be able to complete our purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes today in time to meet our deadline with the city of Glendale," Jamison said in a statement. "However, our journey to purchase the Coyotes will continue. We realize this will require additional conversations with the city of Glendale and the NHL. We still believe we can reach an agreement that satisfies everyone. We hope negotiations with the city proceed as smoothly as possible, as everyone involved wants the Coyotes to remain in Arizona."
While Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Thursday that he would honor any deal agreed upon by the City of Glendale's previous council members, since Jamison could not pull the necessary capital together by the non-negotiable deadline, all bets are off moving forward.
"We want a professional hockey team here, but not when it's literally tied to the backs of our taxpayers at the same time that we're letting our law enforcement jobs go by the wayside and our fire," Weiers said. "Public safety has got to be our very first priority, and as much as I want the Coyotes here, it can't be done on the backs of the taxpayers by sacrificing, trading public safety for hockey."
With Jamison failing to meet the lease deadline, the door has now been left wide open for any other potential bidder to meet with Weiers regarding a possible purchase of the team.
The league has owned the team since the fall 2009 and has attempted to find a buyer on multiple occasions without success.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.