'Yotes Notes: Goals aplenty in Coyotes' loss to Blackhawks
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 6-4 loss to the Blackhawks on January 20.
The Coyotes came out firing in their home opener, as David Moss notched his first goal as a Coyote at the 3:39 mark in the first period. Though the Blackhawks answered shortly after, Antoine Vermette's second-period goal put the home team on top for the second time in the game.
And, even after falling behind 5-2, third period goals from Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan got the Coyotes within just one late.
Oh, and for a city that supposedly won't support hockey, the soldout crowd of 17,363 (with help of Chicago fans) would beg to differ.
The Coyotes went 0-for-3 on the power play, and goaltender Mike Smith gave up six goals on jus 31 shots. It was a very un-Smith like performance, though after giving up four goals the night before in Dallas it makes for a bad start to the season for the team's most important player.
He Said It:
"Unacceptable goaltending both games. I know it's early in the season; it's a weird season, but there's no excuse for it. It's a let-down to the whole team. You score seven goals in two games, you should win both of those. Obviously we need to clean up our game in some areas, but it starts with me and right now it's not good enough." - Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith on being 0-2 to start the season.
• Mike Smith allowed six goals in a game just twice last season.
• Coyotes center Antoine Vermette's second period goal was his 12th against the Blackhawks in his career. Vermette has tallied 22 career points against Chicago (12-10-22), his most against any NHL team.
• Shane Doan played in his 1,200 career NHL game Sunday. He ranks eighth among active NHL players in games played.
• Chicago's Marian Hossa, who was injured on a big hit from Phoenix's Raffi Torres in Game 3 of last year's series between the teams, scored two goals and tallied four penalty minutes Sunday.
The Coyotes get a couple days off before hosting the Columbus Blue Jackets Wednesday at Jobing.com Arena.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes' GM - Wednesday May 29The GM discusses his contract extension and the futures of head coach Dave Tippett and goaltender Mi
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.