Updated Jul 7, 2014 - 3:39 pm
Paul Goldschmidt: By the Numbers
Goldschmidt, the team's lone All-Star, is making his second consecutive appearance in the game.
Goldschmidt is currently on pace to match his production from 2013 when he was the NL MVP runner-up.
Here's a look at Goldschmidt's season thus far, by the numbers.
Goldschmidt's batting average ranks seventh in the NL. He has improved his average in each of the past three seasons.
This is what Goldschmidt's OPS (on base percentage plus slugging) amounts to, fourth in the NL. Additionally, he is fifth in the NL on base percentage (.398) and third in slugging (.554).
Pitchers around the league fear Goldschmidt. After leading the NL in intentional walks (19) last season, Goldschmidt's seven in 2014 is tied for second in the NL.
With 16 home runs, 32 doubles, and one triple, Goldschmidt has 49 extra base hits. He is tied for first in MLB and has six more than the next closest competitor in the NL.
Even though his teammates have struggled to get on base in 2014, Goldschmidt still has a respectable 58 RBI (third in the NL) batting third. The D-backs as a team are 23rd in on-base percentage (.307).
On a team that ranks 20th in MLB in runs per game (3.97), Goldschmidt finds a way to cross the plate. He has scored the second most runs in MLB (64).
Goldschmidt doesn't just swing the bat well. He's also a good fielder. The 2013 Gold Glover leads the majors in putouts (766) and is fourth among NL first basemen in range factor (9.46).
Goldschmidt leads the majors in doubles (32), which puts him on pace for 58 on the season. Fifty-eight doubles would be the second most in MLB since 1936.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.